Oh, the season is only 3 weeks away so what a better time than now to do a 2008 Mock Draft. I know, I know…you have to be kidding right? Wrong. It seems that some just can’t get enough of the NFL draft. So, we here at Phinphanatic are going to go out of our way to oblige the 4 people who wanted it..(I’m kidding, there were 5). I am not going to try and predict seasonal records so I have decided to play the “cop-out” card and keep the same order from last year. Check back in January of 08 for the updated slots….:)
1. – Jake Long – OT: The Raiders are going to find this year that they cannot compete in the NFL without an offensive line. Robert Gallery has been a bust so far but the Raiders need an Olineman and Jake Long as of now is the best prospect for next year.
2. - Darren McFadden – RB: The Lions are sick and tired of Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell, TJ Duckett, and whoever else they have tried since Barry. They need a RB of the future. This is the natural pick here.
3. – Glenn Dorsey – DT: The Cowboys get this pick from the Browns because of the Brady Quinn trade. What a deal for the Cowboys! They decide to take one of the top Defensive players and bolster their line.
4. – Brian Brohm – QB: I really thing that Bucs’ will improve slightly this year, still, Chucky loves QB’s and that was a position not addressed in this years draft. Brohm is the current top rated QB and a solid year from him will go a long way to making him a target at number 1 overall.
5. – Calais Campbell – DE: New HC Ken Whisenhunt will find that no matter how good he thinks he can make the Cards offense, the defense will still let him down. DE is a need, especially if KW decides to fully convert the team to a 3-4.
6. – Derrick Harvey – DE: The only real thing that will interest fans of the Redskins this next off-season will be who is conducting the draft. Gibbs or Cowher? The Redskins would likely have gone DE this year but they would have been stupid to pass on Laron Landry.
7. – Kenny Phillips – FS: Rick Speilman is calling the shots up there, so who knows, this pick could get traded for the rights to Ricky Williams. Last year they addressed the RB spot in round 1, does not change the above Ricky comment though. The Vikes are going to find that no matter how good their front 7 is, their back 5 are not very good. Phillips will at least fill a need.
8. – Dan Connor – OLB: Atlanta will still be wondering what to do with Vick at the end of this year. Harrington is the starter but will he remain there and will he show enough that the Falcons will pass on a QB prospect? If Brohm is here, you can bet your rear-end that they won’t. In fact, don’t be surprised to see them move up to get the kid. After all, Petrino is the HC and Brohm played with him in L’ville. Still, the Falcons will not likely be drafting high enough to be able to trade up that far.
9. – Sam Baker – OT: I hate drafting Olineman in the first round. It seems such a waste to not have a guy who actually touches the ball coming out of this round. Still, there is little doubt that this is the reason Miami is in such bad shape. They need Olineman and if Baker would fall into their laps, they would go a long way to shoring up the biggest problem they have.
10. – Michael Oher – OT: Do not be surprised if the Texans do not try and make a move to get Baker. They have passed on Olineman the last 3 years in round 1. They really need the help and Matt Schaub is going to find that it wasn’t Carrs’ fault for the sacks, it was the lines.
11. – Quentin Groves – DE This pick belongs to the Patriots in a trade consumated in the 07 off-season. Lets’ hope that the 9ers get their act together this year and pick somewhere in the mid 20′s. Makes me sick to see the Pats have 2 1st rounders every year.
12. – Desean Jackson – WR: I really think they will go with a long snapper here, but they don’t rank that position this early.
13. – Terrel Thomas – CB
14. – James Laurinaitis – LB
15. – Frank Okam – DT
16. – Steve Slaton – RB
17. – Andre’ Woodson – QB
18. – Gosder Cherilus – OT
19. – Martellus Bennet – TE
21. – Sedrick Ellis – DT
22. – Chris Long – DE
23. – Limas Sweed – WR
24. – John Carlson – TE
25. – Brandon Coutu – K: Would you really be surprised? O.k. Keith Rivers – OLB
26. – Tommy Blake – DE:
27. – Aqib Talib – CB
28. – Jasper Brinkley – ILB
29. – Chad Henne- QB
30. – Early Doucet – WR
31. – Antoine Cason – CB
32. – Dwight Lowery – CB This pick was traded to the SF 49ers. Even with the addition of Nate Clements in the 2007 off-season, Lowery may very well go here still.