Sammy W. is a KY boy that graduated from the UK with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He and his wife Linda were married during their senior year at UK and moved to South Fla. in Palm Beach County where he got a job as a designer for Pratt and Whitney Aircraft in 1961. He worked for P&W as a designer for 36 years, designing jet and rocket engines for the Government. He has been a Dolphin fan since day one. He is the first guest writer we have had on our site and is one of our first regular readers as well.
Dolphins 2008: Who Will Stay? Who Will Go?
At the end of the Dolphin’s 2007 season I looked at their roster and wondered “who would stay and who would go”? My first impression after a 1-15 season was get rid of them all. But they till have some gifted players and many are still under contract. I assume BP and his new head coach will start to evaluate the remaining players and make the final say. I thought the Phins Group would like to put in their evaluation as well. Here is my evaluation and I hope the new Dolphin’s management don’t start eliminating them before we can put in out two cents worth.
- The backbone of the offense is the QBs so I’ll will start there.
- QBs Cleo Lemon and John Beck. Lemon’s contract expired in 2007. Will he be back or will we just let him go and keep John Beck? We would have to get an experienced QB in free agency and draft a QB more liking to BP’s prototype. (keep one, John Beck).
- Trent Green has another year on his contract. If he doesn’t feel like he is able to continue as a player maybe we could renegotiate his contract as an Assistant QB Coach to tutor John Beck and any new QB we draft or pick up in free agency/undrafted QBs. Otherwise Trent would make the second QB. Keep 2.
- Patrick Cobbs and Samkon Gado contracts expired in 2007. Would like to renew Gado’s contract and bring him back at least to TC.
- Lorenzo Booker is still on contract through 2010 and showed promise in 2007, he has speed.
- Jesse Chatman also showed promise in 2007 but his contract expired in 2007. Would like to see him back in 2007 even if BP has his sights on a new power RB.
- Ricky Williams contract option was renewed but I would like to see him traded for a good draft choice and keep our existing running backs or draft a younger power RB.
- Ronnie Brown is on contract through 2009 but has been injured every year since he came to the Dolphins even when he had Ricky Williams as a back-up. BP may wish to trade Ronnie Brown for a younger RB draft choice? I say we keep 4 to TC.
- Reagan Mauia is the only FB we have on contract until 2010 and showed promise in 2007. Would like to keep him in 2008. Keep 1
- Greg Camarillo contract expired in 2007 but showed promise, hope he gets a new contract and returns.
- Chandler Williams Practice Squad option was picked up this week, so I guess he will show up in TC as a WR?
- Marty Booker is on contract through 2008 and he played very well in 2007. I expect him to show up in 2008 TC if he is not traded for a good draft choice, especially if Cam goes to the Rams.
- Kerry Reed’s contract was also picked up as a 2007 Practice Squad member. Would like for us to renegotiate his contract and at least bring him in to TC.
- Derek Hagan showed promise at the end of the season and did not drop every pass that was thrown to him. He is on contract until 2009 and would expect him to at least show up at TC.
- Ted Ginn was surprising as a WR and he is on contract through 2011. He and Booker needs a good ST coach to help them to be good Returners.
- Probably will need to draft some new WRs and or pick them up in free agency.
- Would like for the Dolphins to resign David Sutton 6’8” and had a Volleyball back ground. He would help the Dolphins on both the Red Zone offense and on defense in the RZ against corner/ EZ lobs. Keep 7.
- Aaron Halterman’s contract expired in 2007and he’s gone.
- Justin Peelle and David Martin are on contract through 2008/2009 respectively and will probably be back for TC.
- We need to address TEs in draft or free agency. Maybe an undrafted rookie. Keep 2.
- Samson Satele is on contract through 2010 and we need to extend his contract farther this year.
- Rex Hadnot’s contract expired in 2007 and we need to get him back on contract because he can back-up the Center and also play other OL positions.
- Drew Mormino is on contract through 2010 and needs to be brought back in 2008 as a back-up C or OL.
- We need to eliminate John Denney as a Long Snapper and get a new LS because John’s contract expired in 2007. We need a dual position person besides just ST. Keep 3.
- Gene Mruczkowski,Tala Esera, Chris Liwienski and Julius Wilson, contracts expired in 2007 and they are gone. We need to look at the draft and/or free agency for new OGs.
- Joe Toledo is on contract through 2009 and we should not give up on him even though he has not been healthy in either2006 or 2007. BP may think his missed action because of medical problems is too long and he needs to be traded or released. I say bring him back to TC as a Rookie and not for 3rd year player money.
- Marquay Love was brought back as a Practice Squad player and his contract expired in 2007. We need to get him back on contract and bring him back to TC.
- The dolphins really need to address OG in the draft and free agency. Keep 3.
- LJ Shelton is a 10 year veteran that is on contract through 2009 and we should bring him back to TC to help with young OTs and be a back-up to the starting OT.
- Julius Wilson and Cory Lekkerkerker contracts expired in 2007 and they are gone.
- Anthony Alabi and Vernon Carey are both on contract through 2008 and should be brought back to TC. Vernon Carey should be moved back to RT and we should address a LT in draft and/or free agency. Keep 3.
- Chase Page, Anthony Bryant and Steve Fifita contracts expired in 2007. Only Steve needs to be under contract and brought back to TC.
- Rodrique Wright and Vonnie Holliday are under contract through 2009 and 2010 respectively. Both DTs needs to be brought back to TC.
- Paul Soliai is on contract through 2010 and should be brought back.
- Keith Traylor is on contract through 2008. Suggest he be brought back as a mentor to the young DTs and as a back-up to the DL.
- Mike Rosenthal and Steve Fifita contracts expired in 2007 and should be brought back in 2008.
- The Dolphins need to address DTs in the draft and/or free agency. Keep 6.
- Chase Page, Quentin Moses, and Derreck Robinson contracts expired in 2007 and they are gone.
- Matt Roth and Jason Taylor are both under contract through 2009 and both should be brought back.
- The Dolphins needs to address young DE in the draft and/or free agency. Keep 2.
- Edmond Miles and Donnie Sparagan are under contract through 2007 and they are gone. Derrick Pope’s contract expired in 2007 but he should be under contract and brought back to TC.
- Abraham Wright and Kelvin Smith are under contract through 2010 and both should be brought back to TC.
- Marcello Church was picked up on option for PS players so he will be back to TC.
- Joey Porter is under a contract through 2011 and he will be back.
- Zack Thomas is under contract through 2008 and he will be back unless he is not healthy. The Dolphins should then renegotiate his contract and bring him back as an Assistant LB Coach. Keep 4.
- Andre Goodman 2008 and Will Allen 2009 should be brought back.
- Jason Allen should be brought to TC or traded if someone will give the Dolphins anything for him. They may have to just release him if his buy out is not too great.
- The Dolphins really needs to address CBs in the draft and/or through free agency. Keep 2.
- Traveares Tillman 2007,Tuff Harris 2007, Courtney Bryan 2007 and Yeremiah Bell 2007 all have contracts that expired this year. Dolphins may wish to renew their contracts for 2008 and bring them back to TC. Yeremiah Bell is the only real Safety worth keeping and he can’t stay healthy for a full season.
- Renaldo Hill and Cameron Worell are already on contract for 2008,
- The Dolphins really need to address this position in the draft and/or free agency, but maybe a clean house except for Renaldo Hill is in order? Keep 5.
- Keep kicker Jay Feely on contract through 2009.
- Punter Brandon Fields on contract through 2010 was very in consistent last year and the Dolphins need to find a new punter.
- John Denney is a good LS but maybe we should teach one or both of the centers to be a LS back up? John’s contract expired in 2007 so maybe the Dolphins need to find a replacement or competitor for John. A fourth year man will demand a much higher salary.
- The Dolphins should address other ST players as they select in the draft and/or free agency. A good ST Coach needs to be found to help the Dolphin’s ST especially help Ted Ginn and Lorenzo Booker on fielding the ball and returning punts and kick-offs.
This makes 25-28 offensive and 21-24 defensive and special team players to be brought back to at least to TC. I have had my say what do you think? Should BP cut deeper or keep more existing players?