Well, the 6th round also came and went without selecting a QB. With Greg McElroy (Alabama) still available, the Dolphins traded up to the 9th pick and selected Charles Clay, TE/FB out of Tulsa. You can check out how he compares with other second tier TEs.
I guess Ireland/Sparano planned all along to NOT to draft a QB — despite what they claimed. They had plenty of opportunities and did not make the pick. I think they had decided all along to go with Henne and maybe pick up a veteran as a token gesture. I believe that they will never admit they were wrong about drafting Henne — who they thought was just as good as Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco.
However, something should be noted about the 2011 NFL Draft QB Prospects and Where Did They Go?
- Round 1, Pick 1 – Panthers — Cam Newton (Auburn)
- Round 1, Pick 8 — Titans — Jake Locker (Washington)
- Round 1, Pick 10 — Jaguars — Blaine Gabbert (Missouri)
- Round 1, Pick 12 — Vikings — Christian Ponder (Florida State)
- Round 2, Pick 3 — Bengals — Andy Dalton (TCU)
- Round 2, Pick 4 — 49ers — Colin Kaepernick (Nevada)
- Round 3, Pick 10 — Patriots — Ryan Mallett (Arkansas)
- Round 5, Pick 4 — Chiefs — Ricky Stanzi (Iowa)
- Round 5, Pick 21 — Texans — T.J. Yates (North Carolina)
- Round 5, Pick 29 — Bears — Nate Enderle (Idaho)
- Round 6, Pick 15 — Ravens — Tyrod Tayor (VA Tech)
- Round 7, Pick 5 — Jets — Greg McElroy (Alabama)
And, who is still available to pick up in free agency, whenever it happens?
- FA — Pat Devlin (Delaware)
- FA — Scott Tolzien (Wisconsin)
- FA — Ryan Colburn (Fresno State)
- FA — Jerrod Johnson (Texas A&M)
- FA — Joshua Portis (California [PA])
- FA — Jeff Van Camp (Florida Atlantic)
But, probably more important is which teams did not select a QB in the 2011 NFL Draft. The list includes the following teams who really need QB help: Bills, Browns, Seahawks, Redskins, and the Cardinals. It is these teams that will be competing with the Dolphins for the veteran free agents or trades that will become available. By the way, I believe the Seahawks are the front runners for Carson Palmer because of the Pete Carroll connection. I believe the Cardinals are the front runners for Kevin Kolb — I don’t believe the Marc Bulger smokescreen. I believe the Broncos will keep Kyle Orton. And, I cannot believe the Redskins will stand pat with Rex Grossman as starting QB with John Beck as his back-up. So, that leaves Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, and Bulger for the Dolphins to pursue along with Redskins Daniel Snyder’s big wallet. I wonder how much of the Dolphins future they will give-up?
I really get this sick feeling that I will be seeing Chad DUH Henne starting for the Dolphins all next season with Tyler Thigpen in relief. I think Ireland/Sparano plan to live or die with Henne. Well, you know what? Cam Cameron died along with his selection of John Beck. And, Nick Satan died along with his selection of Dante Culpepper (over Drew Brees). I hope you guys are right or there will be two more highly paid management personnel to add to the unemployment line in 2012.
What do you think? Are you bummed the Dolphins did not select a QB in the draft? Should the Dolphins have selected Stanzi or Enderle in the fourth round? Are you happy with another year of Henne?