Many ask why the Miami Dolphins will be featured in the 2012 run of HBO’s “Hard Knocks”, a training camp documentary. While some may attribute it to lack of interest from other teams, it is likely that the Dolphins were high on HBO’s list for many reasons, including the beautiful city they call home. I’m sure the show’s producers were ecstatic that they were going to Miami. What many forget is that reality sports television is about more than wins and losses. This show is about football but not just football. And from this point of view, the Miami Dolphins are very compelling. The sixth team to appear on the show is also poised to have a successful 2012 campaign.
Here are some potential storylines for the Miami Dolphins’ version of Hard Knocks:
1. Lauren Tannehill
The gorgeous blonde has captivated America since the NFL Draft.
2. The Tannehills’ transition from Big Spring, Texas to the big city
3. Jeff Ireland: The misunderstood general manager, from Dez Bryant to the electrifying 2012 draft class
4. New coaches Joe Philbin, Mike Sherman, and Kevin Coyle, making their mark
5. Reggie Bush: Bachelor in South Beach
6. Stephen Ross: The 2nd-richest owner in the NFL
7. The Dolphins’ Quarterback Battle
8. Any feel-good story featuring a player on the bubble
Les Brown fits the bill. In 2010, Danny Woodhead was “Rudy” for the Jets and he made the team. He was cut in mid-September 2010 and signed with the Patriots within days.
9. Vontae Davis, Vernon Davis, and their younger brother Michael’s murder case
10. Dolphin celebrity stakeholders
Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, Jimmy Buffett, and Fergie, among others, can add spice to the show.
For those that feel disgusted and think Hard Knocks should be solely about football, then you don’t know television. Would you watch Hard Knocks if they didn’t feature your favorite team and it was solely about the chosen team’s play on the field? I didn’t think so.
Follow PhinPhanatic on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, and Hit That Google +1 Button!
Reach me directly on Twitter @risantamaria